Monday, September 23, 2013

Interbike 2013

INTERBIKE 2013
Las Vegas
Scott Thomas

  Interbike.  Where do I start?  I guess first and foremost a big thanks to Serfas for inviting me and getting me into the show.  Now let’s get into the meat of things.

  So I started off on Thursday by stopping by the Serfas booth and really getting my hands on their new lights.  The new TSL-2500 looks just as great as their current TSL-1500, but brighter and if you’re riding fast and in the dark bright is good.  The new TSL-T1000 is much different than the TSL-2500 & TSL-1500.  The TSL-T1000 has this very compact look of the light itself.  Perfect for mounting on your helmet.  Then the battery pack has a built in Thunderbolt tail-light.  Then both of these lights have an extremely cool option on their battery packs, which is a USB plug to allow you to charge a smaller TSL-500+ or your cell phone off of.

  I left there and roamed a little stopping by the POC booth.  It was nice to get my hands on the new POC Octal road bike helmet.  There isn’t much that I can say for this that reviews haven’t already said.  This helmet is light.  I’m a fan of POC’s designs, so that doesn’t scare me off with their design of this helmet either.  If you’re in a shop that has these stop and pick it up.  I think you will be amazed as how light this is.

  I moved on from POC’s booth over to the Giant bikes booth.  As many of you know Giant came out in full force this year with their new 27.5 line.  Their new XTC 27.5 looks really nice.  I’m not totally sold on the 27.5, but their selection of 27.5 is there and if you are buying a 27.5 I think Giant might have one of the larges selections.  I will also say that if I was a female and I was looking for a bike that looked “Pretty” I wouldn’t have to look far past giant.  Their women’s selection is there.

  Stan’s.  Well as you all know now Stan’s announced their carbon Valor wheels at Eurobike a few weeks ago.  These wheels are slick.  The ones on display at Interbike were their proto-type ones and some of the look could still be desired, but all in all they are nice.  I know that in talking with Stan’s they won’t really be available in the states till late spring of 2014.  That’s okay as my ZTR Crest are holding up just fine for now.

  Geigerrig.  So this one isn’t one that you will personally see on my back to much when I’m riding, but I know several of the other K-Blue guys are wearing these and racing in these.  I use mine, just not typically when I am riding.  A couple of things though that I got to see out of these guys that I had not before the show.  First their Guardian packs as really nice.  The protection plates are their.  If you’re a rider that falls maybe you should be wearing this.  The plates are extremely light weight strong as you land on your back in the crash.  Another product that I haven’t used, but am going to is their Bike Rig.  I’m very nervous about trying this on my mountain bike, but ready to strap it on to the road as soon as I get it.  Lastly this might be one of the coolest things I saw at the Interbike and this is their new Nano drinking system.  This system eliminates the standard ¼” drinking tube and replaces it with an 1/8” or smaller tube that is fitted with a small cough drop size piece for your mouth.  This tube is setup to have a steady drip to your mouth.  Because of their pressurized hydration bladders this pushes water all the time and allows a steady drip, so you are consistently drinking and not take large drinks at once.

  Yankz.  Well several of you saw my Facebook posting a month or so ago on their new HVLO headphones systems.  I’m not sure I can tell you how comfortable these are.  As I stated in my Facebook posting the only down side I have come across with these is that they are not Blue-tooth.  I’m pretty sure if you are a runner your will love these.

  Crankbrothers.  Once again these guys like Stan’s announces their new carbon wheels at Eurobike, so many of us new they were coming, but we just hadn’t seen them or touched them.  I love the design side of Crankbrothers products and like their other wheels they have not spared any design with these either.  These are offered in the standard matte carbon look and then with an added gloss option.  Also their new Kronologdrop seat post is much nicer than their old Joplin.  I think there is still competition out there in the drop-seat post market, but I’ll say that these guys get it.  I only wish they had it in a smaller size that would fit my bike.

  Sea Suckers.  So as I’m walking the convention I come across Sea Suckers.  These are suction-cup bike mounts for your vehicle.  I love the concept.  It looks extremely diverse and easy to use.  I think my biggest concern is that I’m strapping my $2K bike on to the top of my car and hoping that the suction holds.  In talking with them they stated that they had had no issues with anyone losing their bikes. 

  Shimano.  So the million dollar question for Shimano.  Do they have a 1x11?  No.  They currently do not have one.  They are working on it and said that it will hopefully be out sometime in 2014.  They did say that they were trying to keep the cassette body the same as it currently is, so those that are running Chris King and some of the other custom hubs no need to stress over having to get a new one or an adapter to make these work.

  Sram.  We all are aware of the XX1 1x11 that Sram has had out for over a year now.  Well they rolled out their X01 which is also a 1x11, but the step down.  The biggest and really the only difference is the crank is not carbon on the X01.  I love the simplicity of the 1x11, but riding in maybe different environments from the flat desert of Phoenix to the mountains of Prescott and Utah I believe that your money is better spent on a 2x10.

  Catlike.  So many of you know that I run the POC Trabec helmet and love it.  Its design is a little different which may be part of the reason why I like it, but I have found myself looking at the Catlike’s recently as well.  After spending some time hold, touching, trying on and talking with them I’m not sure I’m sold on these.  Their design and open concept of the helmet is very cool, but I can’t bring myself to them. 

  Trainers.  Several companies had trainers there.  Now naturally I’m pretty fortunate for living in sunny Arizona where I can train outside 12 months a year.  I haven’t always been that fortunate and have had some time in the cold winters of Utah.  So some of the technologies out there on the new trainers are great.  If you are really locked into having to train inside because of the outdoor temps do your research.  Don’t just jump out there and buy that standard trainer that you going to lose your mind grinding away on.  Many of today’s trainers will link with your computer and your big screen. 


MORE TO COME……  Check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment