Thursday, November 1, 2012

Powerline Mountain Bike Race

Race:  Powerline Mountain Bike Race
Location:  Apache Junction, AZ
When:  Saturday October 20, 2012

Well I was traveling back from Utah on Friday the 19th and told my wife that I was racing on Saturday.  Her standard questions followed: where? what time? how much? how long?  Those questions were easy to answer, but knowing that I really only had a few weeks till 24 Hours of Fury I knew none of those questions really mattered, but I needed to race to get into the mode and make sure I was ready.

So Friday night after driving nearly 12 hours home from Salt Lake I get the car unloaded and kids settled and start my preparations for Saturday morning.  Helmet, gloves, water bottles, shoes and so on.  Made sure I grabbed a couple of pairs of Gargoyles depending on the sun that morning and I was 100% sure on the course direction.  I also made sure I had some Gu brew for my water bottles and some Gu Chompies for after the race if needed.

So the alarm goes off nice and early and I roll out of bed.  As typical I never have an issue getting up on race or training days, but make me go to the office and you better plan on dragging me out with a truck.  Load all the gear up, fill some water bottles and I head out.  Luckily it was a nice and close race, so I really didn’t have to get up to early to get there.

Well I raced this race the first time they hosted it in 2009 I believe.  It’s a short course, but this year they had changed the direction of the course from the last time I raced it.  Because I live fairly close I was there when registration opened at 8am.  I was a little concerned as there really wasn’t many there and then as the hour went on more staggered in.  I believe there were about 25 in my category from 18-39. 

8:50am came and we started to line up.  Then it started.  With the change in course it gets narrow very quick as you head thru a little park area and then opens up to some wide service road access which is what about 75% of this race was.  About half way you start to see why it is call Powerline MTB race as you track power lines for a few miles.  The last 1 ½ miles turns to single track and becomes sandy.  I think this is where I remembered by I hadn’t raced this in a few years. 

By the time we were about 2 miles in the pack had thinned and then it was just time to keep a nice slow and steady pace.  Lap 1 wasn’t to bad and then it lead into 2 and by the time I hit the section of single track on the last lap I was regretting wearing my long sleeve jersey. 

There was a couple of racers in front of me as I came across the finish, so I wasn’t excepting much at the awards.  To find out though I had taken 2nd in my division I was pleased. 

Thanks go out to Gargoyles eyewear, POC Protection, GU, Geiger Rig, Mikes Bike Chalet, Stan’s NoTubes and all our other sponsors this year.

-ST-

No comments:

Post a Comment